“There's a race of men that don't fit in, A race that can't sit still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will. They range the field and rove the flood, And they climb the mountain's crest; Their's is the curse of the gypsy blood, And they don't know how to rest.”
- Robert Service

Tuesday 15 October 2013

Autumnal Appreciation

Thanksgiving has wrapped up (Literally. There's about 40 lbs of food wrapped up in my fridge), and I have been granted an unexpected day off work to spend some time getting soul-satisfied. Actually, I thought I was supposed to work, but upon my arrival I realized I'd made an error on my schedule.

I am thankful for unanticipated time to myself.

Last night, I was finally able to have some friends over for a real dinner party on a real dining room table. It was f&%#ing rad. The whole meal was delicious and included some stellar dishes provided by my guests (including their homemade broccoli salad, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie and caesar salad). I was especially happy with how my organic, 14lb turkey  and apple and blueberry pies turned out. It was exactly, perfectly right.
 I am thankful for the cornucopia of wonderful foods I have been able to try in my lifetime. Food! Glorious food!

And when I think about the last two years, I remember the adventures I've been on. Surfing and skiing and sunsets and museums and oceans and, and, and... When I talk to my colleagues at work, I hear that one is in the labout and delivery room (during my shift), waiting patiently for her adopted son to be born. This is as I hear another colleague is just divorced in the same year her brother and her father pass away. She tells me she's very interested to see how her "new" life unfolds, and hopes that she can move on in a positive frame.
 I am thankful for the gift of opportunity - opportunity to explore our world, to alter our lives when we want, and to beat our own trail when the usual one is blocked off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment